“The realities of climate change are nowhere more apparent than in the increasingly frequent and severe drought challenges we face in the West and their devastating impacts on our communities, businesses and ecosystems,” said Governor Newsom. “The entire state is in a drought today, and to meet this urgent challenge we must all pull together and do our part to reduce water use as California continues to build a more climate resilient water system to safeguard the future of our state.”
For more information on Governor Newsom’s announcement, and conservation tips from the Golden State, go here.
Below are a few measures being employed plus excellent websites offering more ideas. Please make sure to check in with your local water utility; they’re sure to have information and perhaps even incentives for water-reduction efforts.
1. Replacing lawns with beautiful drought-tolerant landscaping
2. Using permeable concrete which allows rainwater to flow into aquifers below
3. Using low-flow toilets and waterless urinals
4. Employing aerators on faucets to reduce water flow
5. Turning off tap while brushing teeth or lathering up
WEBSITES OFFERING FURTHER TIPS ON WATER CONSERVATION IN THE CONGREGATION AND HOME:
1. Save Our Water, a statewide program from the California Department of Water Resources, includes rebates
2. Water Use It Wisely, full of information and conservation tips
3. Earth Easy, 25 ways to conserve water in the home and yard.
4. Plumbing – Water Conservation At Home, great tips and links for water conservation
5. U.S. Insurance Agents Home Water Conservation Guide
6. “Grey water” – Water re-use info and tips
7. Fix your leaky faucet by checking YouTube for “how-to” guides. Here’s an easy simple one.
8. Ground water and drinking water: An expert guide for kids.
Water tips from major California water utilities:
Contra Costa Water District
Fresno Water Division
Kern County Water Agency
Los Angeles Department of Water & Power
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
Pasadena Water and Power
Sacramento Department of Utilities
The City of San Diego
San Francisco Water Power Sewer
Stockton Municipal Utilities
We’re confident that the California faith community will be at the forefront of protecting our state’s precious water resources!