February 13, 2019
As people of faith, we have a mandate to bring our common principle into the social arena. CIPL and its members have a proven track record of supporting successful legislation that is now protecting public health, improving our state’s economy, and aiming to avert the worst effects of climate change. Here are CIPL core commitments that guide our advocacy activities:
1) Strong greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets from all sources — energy, transportation, industry, and agriculture — leading California toward carbon neutrality.
2) Significant investments in renewable power with the goal of 100% clean energy as soon as possible with priority for local solar and wind projects that create good jobs for Californians.
3) Advancing climate justice by ensuring the participation in policy decisions by those on the front lines of climate impacts and tangible benefits for communities that have borne the brunt of fossil fuel pollution.
Just last year, CIPL was very involved in passing far-reaching 2018 state law, including a goal of 100% electrical energy by 2045. Check out the details here.
Interested in Interfaith Power & Light’s positions on various forms of energy and related policy? Read about them here.
Importance of Voting:
People of faith all over the world are mobilized in changing the conditions that are causing climate change and its effects on local and global communities.
An excellent way to further climate action is to vote, and vote with the climate and public health in mind. Urge your friends, family and community to vote for people and propositions that will strengthen climate action and community resiliency. CIPL has three ways you can get the most out of your voting experience:
1. Check out Interfaith Power & Light’s excellent guide for houses of worship on ways to get out the vote.
2. Make sure you and your friends and family are registered to vote at your current address to avoid problems at the voting poll.